IUD in Cincinnati, OH
For women in Cincinnati, Blue Ash or the surrounding communities of Ohio, who want to inquire about methods to avoid pregnancy, such as the Kyleena® and other IUDs, our board-certified gynecologists (OB-GYN) Drs. Chandra Gravely and Cindy Hansel at Crescent Women’s Medical Group provide a wide array of birth control options tailored for each woman according to her individual goals and lifestyle.
What is an IUD?
An intrauterine device, or IUD, is a small, flexible, T-shaped device that is inserted into the uterus and provides continuous, highly effective birth control. Keep in mind that no birth control is 100 percent effective, but an IUD may be over 99 percent effective.
If you want to learn more about a safe, easy and effective birth control method, you’ve come to the right place.
What is Kyleena®?
Kyleena® (levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system) is an intrauterine device or IUD that releases tiny amounts of the hormone levonorgestrel into the uterus. Made of soft, flexible plastic, Kyleena® is inserted by your doctor during a regular office visit. Additionally:
- Kyleena® is over 99 percent effective and is one of the most effective methods of birth control available today.
- Kyleena® may be used to prevent pregnancy for as long as five years.
- It is possible to become pregnant immediately once Kyleena® is removed.
Why Choose Kyleena®?
- Highly Effective— Kyleena® is one of the most effective methods of birth control available and offers you hassle-free peace of mind.
- Convenient— There are no daily pills to take and nothing to fuss over during sex. Kyleena® protects you from pregnancy for up to five years. It is recommended that you do a monthly self-check to make sure it’s in place. Our specialists can explain how.
- Reversible—Kyleena® may be safely removed by our specialists at any time, and you may become pregnant right away once it is removed.
- Estrogen-free—Kyleena® delivers a low amount of hormones.
How Does Kyleena® Work to Prevent Pregnancy?
Kyleena® prevents pregnancy by altering the following conditions:
- Kyleena® causes thickening of cervical mucus that prevents sperm from entering your uterus.
- Kyleena® inhibits sperm from reaching or fertilizing the ovum.
- Kyleena® causes thinning in the lining of the uterus, creating conditions that make pregnancy more difficult.
The efficacy of Kyleena® is most likely attributable to the above actions working together to prevent pregnancy for up to five years.
ParaGard® Reversible Birth Control
Highly effective. Hormone Free. Reversible Birth Control.
What is ParaGard®?
ParaGard® is the only reversible form of birth control that’s over 99 percent effective, 100 percent free of hormones and protection doesn’t require any action on your part. Unlike other forms of prescription birth control, ParaGard® is free of hormones, hence, it won’t alter your natural menstrual cycle.
ParaGard® is a hormone-free intrauterine contraceptive (IUC) that can be inserted by our specialists during a regular office visit. ParaGard® begins working immediately, preventing pregnancy for up to 10 years. You may choose to have the ParaGard® removed at any time if you decide you’re ready to become pregnant, and pregnancy is possible immediately after the ParaGard® is removed.
How Does ParaGard® Work?
ParaGard® is currently the only highly effective, reversible, hormone-free intrauterine contraceptive (IUC) on the market. ParaGard® is inserted into your uterus by our doctor during a routine office visit, and prevents pregnancy by preventing sperm from reaching and fertilizing the ovum. Because ParaGard® is hormone free, it will not alter your body’s natural menstrual cycle. ParaGard® is flexible enough to be removed anytime when you’re ready to try to become pregnant, and once it’s removed, you can become pregnant immediately.
If pregnancy isn’t in your plans at this time, Skyla® may be right for you.
What is Skyla®?
Skyla® is an IUD (intrauterine device) that is more than 99 percent effective and continuously protects against pregnancy for up to three years. Skyla® is made of soft, flexible plastic and is placed in your uterus by our doctor during a routine office visit.
With Skyla® You Get:
- Highly effective birth control (over 99 percent).
- No daily pill to think about.
- No monthly refills or trips to the pharmacy.
- Up to three years of continuous pregnancy protection that starts working right away.
- After Skyla® is removed, you can try to get pregnant as soon as you want. There’s no waiting period.
How does Skyla® work?
Skyla® works by releasing small amounts of a progestin hormone locally into the uterus at a slow and continuous rate. Skyla® contains no estrogen and offers hassle-free birth control for up to three years.
Skyla® works by thickening cervical mucus, inhibiting sperm movement and reducing sperm survival. Skyla® also thins the lining of the uterus. These two actions combined make pregnancy nearly impossible.
Make an informed choice when it comes to birth control.
What is LILETTA®?
LILETTA® is a small, flexible plastic T-shaped device that gradually releases a progestin hormone called levonorgestrel (LNG) locally into the uterus to effectively prevent pregnancy for up to three years. LNG is a common ingredient in birth control pills. Because LILETTA® releases LNG directly into your uterus, only small amounts of the hormone enter your bloodstream. LILETTA® has been proven to be more than 99 percent effective in preventing pregnancy.
Who might use LILETTA®?
LILETTA® may be right for you if:
- You want highly effective birth control.
- You want hassle-free birth control that works continuously for up to three years.
- You want birth control that is reversible and allows you to become pregnant after its use.
- You want a birth control method that you do not need to take daily.
- You want a birth control method that does not require any fuss at the time of intercourse.
- You want birth control that is free of estrogen.
How does LILETTA® work?
LILETTA® is believed to work in several ways, including by thickening cervical mucus, inhibiting sperm movement, reducing sperm survival and thinning the lining of the uterus to prevent pregnancy. Scientists believe that these actions work together to prevent pregnancy.
If you reside in Cincinnati, Blue Ash or the surrounding communities of Ohio, and you want to know more about your options for birth control methods, contact Crescent Women’s Medical Group today. Our friendly and experienced specialists provide birth control counseling and a variety of state-of-the-art contraceptive options.