NovaSure® Endometrial Ablation in Cincinnati, OH
If you suffer from excessive menstrual bleeding, Crescent Women’s Medical Group, led by board-certified gynecologists (OB-GYN) Drs. Chandra Gravely and Cindy Hansel, offers solutions to alleviate your condition, such as the NovaSure® endometrial ablation treatment. Our office also provides excellence in general gynecologic care for women in the Cincinnati and Blue Ash areas of Ohio.
Over two million women have been treated with the NovaSure® endometrial ablation procedure.
NovaSure® endometrial ablation (EA) is a safe, effective and uncomplicated procedure that has been used to relieve millions of women suffering from symptoms of menorrhagia or excessive menstruation, in lieu of hormone therapy or hysterectomy. The NovaSure® procedure is designed to treat premenopausal women who have no interest in future pregnancy and who suffer from excessively heavy menstrual periods caused by benign conditions. The NovaSure® procedure is not recommended for women who are not finished with childbearing, as pregnancy following the procedure may be risky. NovaSure® endometrial ablation is not recommended for patients with uterine cancer; patients afflicted with an active genital, urinary or pelvic infection; or patients using an IUD. NovaSure® endometrial ablation is not a sterilization procedure and is not recommended for women who may be pregnant. This website provides information on menorrhagia, or excessive menstrual bleeding, along with possible treatment options, including the NovaSure® procedure.
Do heavy periods affect your life?
One out of every five women, or roughly 10 million women, suffers from symptoms of excessive menstruation. Stress, emotional and physical factors, as well as diet and exercise, affect women’s reproductive health. While some women experience heavy and/or irregular bleeding as early as the teen years, for most women the condition begins or worsens in the 30s and 40s as they approach menopause. Excessive periods take a significant physical, social and emotional toll on a woman’s quality of life, and many women must juggle work and other obligations with the challenges caused by this condition.
Studies reveal that excessive menstruation produces the following effects:
- Many women experience fatigue and nausea.
- Many women experience painful and debilitating menstrual cramps.
- Many women suffer from period-related headaches.
- Over 60 percent of women who suffer from menorrhagia have had to miss social, professional or athletic activities due to this condition.
- Approximately 80 percent of women with menorrhagia experience painful sex or avoid sex.
- Approximately 33 percent of women had to miss work due to excessive bleeding.
- Depression or moodiness associated with excessive bleeding affects 77 percent of women with this condition
- Anxiety affects approximately 75 percent.
- Some 57 percent of women surveyed reported low self-esteem
What is NovaSure® endometrial ablation?
NovaSure® is an endometrial ablation (EA) procedure that provides permanent relief from excessive menstruation by delivering 90 seconds of precisely controlled radio frequency energy via a thin wand to remove the endometrium, or lining of the uterus. NovaSure® is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure that provides an alternative to a hysterectomy, and offers a woman the option of avoiding the potential side effects of hormone therapy.
The NovaSure® procedure is a safe, quick and simple outpatient treatment that may be performed without general anesthesia. As a result, 97 percent of patients experience no pain following the procedure. The NovaSure® EA procedure is faster and simpler than other EA procedures, and may be performed at any time during the menstrual cycle without the need for hormonal pretreatment. Patients are free to return home just hours following the procedure and are usually back to work within one or two days.
How does the NovaSure® procedure work?
The NovaSure® endometrial ablation (EA) procedure may reduce or completely eliminate menstrual bleeding by using a quick delivery of radiofrequency energy to permanently remove the endometrium, or lining of the uterus, which sheds every month in the form of menstrual blood.
- Step 1: The cervix will be slightly dilated and a slender wand inserted that extends a triangular-shaped netted device into the uterus.
- Step 2: The netting expands, adhering to the size and shape of the inside of the uterus.
- Step 3: Precisely measured radiofrequency energy is delivered through the netting for a duration of approximately 90 seconds.
- Step 4: The netting is extracted back into the wand and both are removed from the uterus.
PLEASE NOTE: Nothing remains inside your body after the NovaSure® procedure.
Benefits of the NovaSure® procedure
- The NovaSure® procedure offers a permanent solution.
- The procedure typically is performed in less than five minutes.
- The NovaSure® procedure is an outpatient procedure that may be performed in a doctor’s office without general anesthesia.
- 91 percent of women experienced much lighter periods or no periods at all following the procedure.
- 40 percent of women reported that complete cessation of menstrual periods.
- 97 percent of women from the initial clinical trial experienced no pain following the procedure.
- Most women recover fully within a day or so.
- The procedure requires no incisions. Therefore, healing is rapid and risks are reduced.
- The procedure may be performed at any time during the menstrual cycle, even while bleeding.
- No hormone treatments are required to prepare for the NovaSure® procedure.
Are women satisfied with the NovaSure® procedure?
According to a clinical study, 12 months following the NovaSure® procedure:
- 93 percent of patients reported being satisfied with the results.
- 97 percent reported that they would recommend the procedure to other women.
Almost seven out of every 10 endometrial ablations performed employ the NovaSure® procedure because of its safety and efficacy.
What can I expect?
Most women who undergo the NovaSure® procedure experience much lighter periods or no periods at all following the procedure. In a clinical study, nine out of 10 women experienced much lighter periods and four out of 10 stopped bleeding altogether.
Is NovaSure® endometrial ablation right for me?
Women who suffer from excessively heavy bleeding or periods that last beyond the norm, and who do not wish to have children in the future, may be good candidates for the NovaSure® procedure. Come in and speak to our team of experts about whether or not NovaSure® may be right for you.
Can I still become pregnant after the NovaSure® procedure?
NovaSure® endometrial ablation removes the lining of the uterus. Therefore, it greatly reduces your chances of getting pregnant; however, you may still become pregnant if you’re sexually active. Pregnancy following an ablation would be a very dangerous situation for both the mother and fetus because the uterine lining would not be able to properly support a pregnancy. It is extremely important to make an informed decision about what birth control is right for you after the NovaSure® procedure, and our team will help you make the right choice.
When will I know what my periods will be like after the NovaSure® procedure?
Although every woman is different, it usually takes most women about three months to fully heal from the procedure and resume normal menstrual cycles. Our supportive team will be on hand to guide you through your recovery and answer any questions you may have.
If you are in need of compassionate, complete gynecologic or obstetrical care and live in the Cincinnati and Blue Ash areas of Ohio, contact our team of specialists at Crescent Women’s Medical Group today. We look forward to providing you with high-quality women’s medical care in a friendly and supportive environment.